Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Welcome to my recipe blog!

So today is the first of what I hope will be many posts.  I am starting this blog out of necessity really, since I hope to create a place where anyone who feels like making a healthy and delicious snack, meal or dessert can visit and become inspired, because while there are a few sites out there that do just that, most leave me feeling one of the following things: 1) that I don't want to leave my house to get the weird ingredient on the list; 2)  that it sounds gross or 3) that it's too expensive to make.

As a student I am living on a very limited budget, but have a great need for healthy brain food which sometimes tends to be expensive.  But I really do notice a difference in my performance when I fuel my body with the right stuff so I make a pretty big effort to do so.  In order to stay on budget and on track with my eating, I spend time checking out my local grocery stores, markets, delis and produce stores and I now know where to get the least expensive products including things that are normally pretty pricey.  Living in Vancouver there is absolutely no excuse to eat like crap...we can access all sorts of interesting things within a very small area.  Life gets busy, I know.  I am a full time student with a full time job, I volunteer at 2 separate facilities and I look after a household of 2 dogs and a very sweet man friend:).  Just imagine if there was some magic serum you could take that would give you more energy and make you less irritable.  Well there is!  And it's contained in your food.  Moral of the story is, put good stuff in, and get good stuff out.  You'll sleep better, be happier, have more energy and maybe even better sex...trust me, it's worth it!

So I hope to appeal to those people who, like me, are very busy, and who may not have tons of cash to spend on expensive groceries, or who may not have weird ingredients in their cupboards.  Some of my recipes are really healthy, others are not as healthy but are much better alternatives to the store bought version or the more typical recipes found for desserts and snacks.  All it takes is a little effort, a little interest and a little willingness to explore...all fun things to do when the product is delicious and satisfying food!!  And if you live in Vancouver, I'll even include where you can buy certain things and how much they cost.  I'll probably do a post in the near future which lists ingredients that I think should always be in your cupboard so that maybe you can stock up on these items too, and never be caught without it when you're looking to make something new.

I hope people find this interesting....at the very least, I'll have all my recipes in one place :)

No comments:

Post a Comment