Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My Favorite Corncake Recipe (Gluten free)


This recipe is my absolute favorite!  You can leave out some of the sugar for a more savory dish or add cheese, fresh herbs, dried fruit, nuts etc. for variation.  I usually make it when I feel like something sweet, but don't want anything too heavy.  It's best straight out of the oven with a little butter on it or honey.  I also make this pretty much every time I make my veggie or turkey chili :)  Hope you like it as much as I do!  Warning!!  It can be more healthy or less healthy depending on what ingredients you use...get creative! :)

1 cup medium grind organic cornmeal
1 cup Indian cornflour (not corn starch or you'll end up with a mess!)
1/4 cup cane sugar (you can use regular sugar if you don't have cane)
1/4 cup powdered sugar ( leave out if you want a more savory cake)
1/2 oil or butter (I use coconut oil and it is delicious and more healthy)
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg (could use egg substitute for vegan version)
1/4 milk (I use almond milk or coconut milk)
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Cream the sugar and the butter or oil and add vanilla.  Beat in the egg and then slowly add the dry ingredients.  Stir well and then slowly add the milk and beat well until combined.  I beat mine by hand for about 2 minutes, but if you have a mixer, mix on medium for about 1 minute.  Turn into a well oiled/floured cake pan and bake for 30-40 minutes.  Cake is done when toothpick comes out clean.  Eat hot with butter and enjoy!


**This recipe can be done in a cast iron skillet like traditional corn bread so if you have one use it!  So crispy and delish if you do.  Just preheat the skillet on medium/low heat while you are preparing the cornbread mixture.  Add a little bit of oil (vegetable, coconut etc.) and allow it to heat and then slowly and carefully pour in the cornbread mixture.  Put in oven and bake for about 15 minutes, watching closely and removing when golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. Thank's Cassidy, you will help me with my dinner idea's! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you find them helpful!! I will try my hardest to include the easiest and least time consuming recipes possible...And if they aren't I'll give fair warning :)

    ReplyDelete