Thursday, May 9, 2013

Growing our Garden, Growing our Hearts


Moving out of Gastown and into SOMA (South Main, duh :P) has been just what I needed to put the focus back on living a "good life".  To me, a "good life" doesn't just mean having tons of cash, a flashy car and a closet full of clothes from Holt-but don't get me wrong I also desire to have those things one day.  Right now while I'm a broke student without much extra cash flow, the focus is not on the material things, but on the things that will help me to achieve success.  Yes, studying hard is important and necessary for maintaining a healthy GPA, but if you don't have balance, the studying part becomes very difficult to do.  I need another focus, and that comes in the form of looking after my home and the beings that live there :).

For the first time in about 5 years we planted a garden.  I can't tell you how therapeutic it is to come home from a long day and water our plants or just look at them and sit amongst them.  Tonight I went into our garden and cut fresh dill and rosemary for our dinner.  There is nothing like growing and eating your own food.  I think it is an innate sense of where we as humans come from; from our humble beginnings when we were so much closer to the earth.  I guess this might sound crazy to some people :).  I just feel better when I'm in nature and I think its a feeling I can become totally disconnected from when living in the city.  So even if its just a little bit of greenery on my apartment patio, I feel that while it nurtures my body it also truly nurtures my soul and my heart. <3



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Maybe you'll add a few chickens to the mix once you've got a little green space? ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely we will!! As soon as we have an actual yard and not just a patio :) xo

      Delete