Thursday, July 4, 2013

The easiest, healthiest most delicious dessert ever! Banana "Ice Cream" (Gluten-free, dairy-free and sugar-free)



So you want something sweet, but that time of year has come and you don't want to look like a whale in a bikini...I have the PERFECT solution for you.  Banana ice cream.  This is the most satisfying and delicious dessert I have ever made.  Seriously.  I can't believe I didn't know about this sooner.  You can even eat if for breakfast and feel good about it.  How bout that?!  In addition to the fact that its healthy and yummy, the bananas give the added bonus of an instant energy boost and de-stressor.  Their high potassium content and dose of tryptophan will leave you feeling almost instantly more alert and more positive...I tried it last night while studying and I swear to you I noticed a difference.  Just make sure that you use fresh bananas and not store bought frozen bananas because the store bought ones are blanched first which reduces their nutritional value by quite a lot.  But who doesn't have a few too-ripe bananas kicking around?  Next time you're about to toss them, throw them in the freezer for a treat that you will be obsessed with!  Oh yeah, and I forgot to add that it's super quick and hardly any mess...you can't go wrong with this.

Ingredients:

4 medium size over-ripe bananas (the riper the better since they get sweeter and sweeter as they ripen)
1 can coconut milk
Garnish (I used chocolate chips since the man likes chocolate, but I think I'll try coconut or almonds next time for a bit of texture and crunch)

Freeze bananas whole, in peel for at least 24 hours (mine were probably in there for 3 weeks since I was keeping them for shakes, banana bread etc.).  When they are frozen through, take them out of the freezer and peel them.  Don't worry if a bit of the pith gets left behind as it is very high in potassium and fiber.  Break the bananas into about 3 pieces and place into blender (I need to do mine in 2 batches for the best results).  Add the coconut milk (half if you are doing it in 2 batches like me) and blend until it is smooth and creamy.  Pour the mixture into a freezer safe container (I use an old yogurt container) and place in the freezer for at least 2 hours. Scoop into bowl, garnish with your favorites and enjoy!   Alternatively, you can pour the mixture into popsicle forms and have them as an individual snack.  Try to leave some for everyone else (I bet you can't!).

No comments:

Post a Comment