Tuesday, May 14, 2013

15 Staple Pantry Items You Should Always Have on Hand


I promised I would post a list of must have pantry items so here it is.  Obviously this is not an inclusive list, but it's at least a good start for someone who's looking to start doing more clean cooking and clean eating.  The best trick I have is keeping a running grocery list in my phone in the notes section (I'm a slave to my iPhone, sorry).  Since my phone is almost always right beside me, it's the perfect way to keep track of the things we want and need since I add items to the list as they pop into my head.  Once I have purchased them I delete them, or rather, once they are in my shopping cart I delete them.  Those of you who know me will know that I am slightly OCD so checking things off my list this way gives me a sense of satisfaction.  Crazy, I know.  But effective!  I hardly ever forget to pick things up at the store; if I don't come home with everything on my list, it's usually because something was a bit too pricey that day, and I decided we could live without it.  Later this week I'll be posting a "Where to Shop on a Budget in Vancity" list so that you can try to avoid going without things you really need slash want even if money is tight!

But without further adieu, here is the list of the "15 Staples Pantry Items You Should Always Have on Hand":


  1. Quinoa-Much cheaper if you buy it in bulk, and try to buy organic, fair trade.  A quick internet search will provide you with a slew of information outlining why!
  2. Chia seeds-Also much cheaper if you buy them in bulk.  Black or white are both fine
  3. Seeds-My faves are pepitas, sunflower seeds & poppy seeds, but they're all great :)
  4. Nuts-Basically anything except peanuts.  Buy raw nuts and roast them yourself.  You really shouldn't eat raw nuts because of the anti-nutrient they contain, and roasting them yourself is fast and much healthier since you know there isn't loads of extra oil on them.
  5. Spices-Any kind you like!!  I try to get a variety so that my soups, stews, stir-frys, curries etc. don't always taste the same.
  6. Sea salt and cracked pepper (OK this is technically 2 items, but really they're pretty much a pair :D).
  7. Dried herbs-OK so actually, fresh are so much better, but the store bought fresh are super expensive and not really that fresh.  I grow my own which saves me time & money (the starter plants cost $1.39 each and now I have plants that produce almost more than we can use), plus I get to garden which makes me very excited! :D This being said, I always have some dried spices on hand since they are perfect for rubs, dips, dressings etc.
  8. Good quality extra virgin olive oil.  Perfect for salads and other fresh sauces amongst many other things.
  9. Extra virgin, cold pressed coconut oil.  You can literally buy this anywhere now...It will be on my "Where to Shop..." list so keep your eyes peeled this week.  Perfect for cooking and baking.
  10. Organic, unpasteurized Honey. Versatile and delish...'nuff said.
  11. Cane Sugar-Try to buy this in bulk as it is MUCH less expensive. 
  12. Baking powder-Just very handy and used in so many recipes
  13. Masa Harina corn flour- NOT cornmeal or corn starch.  Usually found in the ethnic aisle (try to get organic, non-GMO if you can find it)
  14. Organic, non-GMO cornmeal
  15. Gluten-free oats
Like I said, just a starter list.  I may revise this as time goes on so I will update you if I do so.  Happy shopping!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment