Monday, July 8, 2013

Take what you need from wellness posts, but only you know what really makes you happy!



Sometimes I feel like I am constantly being bombarded with Facebook posts, LinkedIn articles and other social media or wellness sites that are telling me how to live my best life.  I tend to get wrapped up in them, try different things and sometimes even change my screensaver to quotes of the day that really inspire me.  But it is not fulfilling.  I don't find it to be incredibly motivating.  In fact, sometimes I think it is really counter-productive.  It isn't good enough to just say inspiring things and quote them on social media or leave them as a reminder on my iPhone so that I'll try to "Stay in the moment" more.  Actually, sometimes that screensaver serves as a constant reminder that in fact I am NOT staying in the moment, and so makes me feel guilty that I am not doing what I told myself I was going to do.  It's like it's not good enough anymore to just "be".  To just do life in a way that makes you happy that has nothing to do with any of these inspirational daily quotes, the constant focus on healthy living (my blog included) and other philosophies that don't necessarily take into consideration the pressures of real life.

You know what?  Life isn't easy.  And people aren't perfect.  And we all have vices.  That's OK.  I refuse to feel bad about myself because 3 weeks ago I ate a tuna sandwich that had tons of mayo in it and was made on non-gluten free bread.  I love my life, and I am extremely blessed, but I work very hard and I have a lot of things on my plate.  If I need that sandwich to give myself a little comfort after a long week, I am not going to feel badly about it and, in fact, I am going to savour the taste and the moment.  Monday morning I get up, make my coffee with almond milk, have a healthy breakfast and move on-without obsessing about every single event that didn't necessarily coincide with the quote on my iPhone that says "Where there is no struggle, there is no strength".  There was no struggle involved in scarfing down the delicious, mayo laden tuna sandwich.  I just did it because I felt like it.  And I think there is strength in that as well.

I know I am not alone in feeling the overwhelming pressure to fit into this box of healthiness, wellness, happiness and perfection.  Sure, you feel better when you feed yourself with good things, exercise and cut back on the booze.  Those things are great!  It's just that when you "fall off the wagon" so to speak we are conditioned to believe that this is a failure and that we must get back on track and follow the rules.  And then you feel guilty and focus on the negative aspects of yourself rather than the awesome person you are who is just trying to do life well under the pressure to succeed.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?  I just really doubt that I am alone in this feeling.

Without sounding preachy, just do what makes you happy!  You don't need to search the internet to find that out.  We all know deep down what makes us feel good.  If it's laying on the grass in the sun when you "should" be cleaning, just lay in the sun!!  If you feel like having a glass of wine after a hard day, just have it!!  And if you feel like eating a non-gluten free baked good, just savour it, don't feel guilty; it's not the end of the world and that one delicious pasty will NOT make you gain a ton of weight.  Listen to you, not to us bloggers.  We're all just putting out there what makes US happy.  The only person who can tell you what happiness is for you, is you.  Take inspiration from others, but listen to yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Do what makes us happy? Reading your blog makes me happy! Always a pleasure to read your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy!! I also love following your life with your gorgeous children :) That makes me happy! I guess we are doing something right! xo

      Delete