Thursday, July 11, 2013

Red Beet, Kale and Quinoa Salad: The perfect way to use up left overs! (Gluten free, Vegan, Vegetarian)


I don't normally love beets, but something about the combination of these ingredients is delish!  I serve it at room temperature, but I think it would be really good cold for lunch the next day!  Super quick and easy and could really serve as a whole meal on it's own.

Ingredients:

2 large beets (I used red, but golden would be delicious too)
1 large kale leaf
1/4 of a white onion, chopped
2 cups quinoa (already cooked)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Pinch of sea salt
Cracked pepper to taste
Green onion (for garnish)

I usually make a quinoa salad out of left over quinoa so it is cold when I start building the salad.  It would also be good if it was slightly warm, but really it's up to you :).  Peel the beets, cut them into quarters and blanch them for about 10 minutes.  I like mine to be tender crisp, but if you like them softer just boil them longer until they are a nice texture for you.  One they are finished cooking, drain off the water and slice the beets into bite sized pieces. Set aside and allow to cool.

Saute the onions until translucent and then add to the quinoa.  Add beats.  Chop the kale finely and add to quinoa along with the olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper.  I find it is important to use coarse sea salt and cracked pepper since it helps to break down the kale.  Stir until the kale turns a more vibrant green and the mixture is combined.  I served mine garnished with green onion and a dollop of greek yogurt on the side.  I think this recipe would also be really delicious with cumin and turmeric too...or any fresh herbs!  enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment