Friday, July 12, 2013

Banana Lemon Smoothie with Kale and Beet Water (Don't Knock it 'Till You Try it!)


OK, I know this recipe won't be for everyone, but for those friends of mine who enjoy trying new (maybe weird!) things and re-purposing ingredients, I think you'll like this one.  Last night I made a Red Beet, Kale and Quinoa Salad (you can find the post from July 11th for the recipe), and I had all of this hot pink liquid left over from blanching my beets.  I didn't want to throw it out since it was so vibrant looking!  There are a ton of uses for it up on the internet, but to be honest with you, a little boring.  I don't really want to die food pink since I find that totally unappetizing-although since I recently developed a "Mad Men" obsession I may create a recipe that harkens back to the 60's sometime in the future.  Anyway, after reading up about it I thought I would rather use the beet water as the liquid in my smoothie in the morning, as an alternative to water or almond milk.  Since I sometimes like a little more sweetness in the morning than just the banana can lend, I thought the beet water might contribute...It did :).  It wasn't overly sweet or beet-y (haha), but I could definitely tell the difference.  A warning to all if you are going to try this: you must use organic produce since the process of boiling or blanching can draw out toxins and leave them in your water.  Also, this is NOT the same as beet juice!  Beet juice is much more rich in nutrients (obviously)....I only wanted to use the water I had so it wouldn't go to waste.  Try it for yourself and enjoy...And let me know if you can think of any other interesting ideas :)

Ingredients:

1 cup beet water (only from organic beets)
2 large leaves of kale
The juice of half a lemon
1 large frozen banana (it could be fresh too, but I would add ice to cool it down)
1 tsp honey (optional)

Throw everything into your blender and blend until smooth.  Enjoy right away and freeze any extra in popsicle molds for a refreshing healthy snack later on!

No comments:

Post a Comment