Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Cleanse Friendly Slow Cooker Roasted Chicken


There is nothing easier, and nothing more delicious than this chicken recipe.  I also love it when I forget that I've done it in the morning and walk into a house filled with the warm and comforting aroma of roasted chicken.  All you have to do is throw a salad together, steam some veggies and dinner is ready, just like that. The other thing I love is that on a hot day, you can have delicious roast chicken without turning on your oven and heating up your whole house!

1 whole chicken (non-medicated, free-range organic)
2 stalks celery
3 large carrots
1/2 of a large onion
4 cups stock or water
Tons of fresh herbs
Salt and Pepper to taste

Place chicken into slow cooker and arrange some of the carrots and celery around the chicken.  Place the remaining carrots and celery in the cavity of the bird.  Pour stock or water over the chicken and sprinkle with herbs, salt and pepper.  Turn slow cooker on low and cook for about 4-6 hours (if I am going to be out of the house for longer than that, I leave the lid off just a tiny bit).  Sometimes if I want a little extra treat, I cut off the pieces I want from the chicken and place them in the over to crisp the skin.  Also, make sure you save the juices since it makes the absolute BEST gravy, or you can save it to make stock with the carcass.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment