Friday, October 25, 2013

Be Kind to Yourself


Lately, I have been reading a lot of articles about people feeling overwhelmed with the constant barrage of wellness and "happiness" articles being posted.  These articles are designed to help people, but sometimes we become bogged down in the "shoulds" and lose focus on the "wants".  This can just cause more stress and ultimately result in the reverse outcome: feeling worse about yourself because you cannot achieve what you "should".  My sister wrote an awesome blog post about this on her blog "The Gypsies Pantry" which you can view via this link: http://thegypsyspantry.tumblr.com/post/61164038735/the-s-word.

I have written on this topic before, but I am compelled to bring it up again because of the detox I am currently doing.  This holistic detox is actually quite easy and is reflective of how I like to eat on a regular basis anyway.  But the best part is that there is no focus on "will-power" and "resisting your inner temptations".  I really hate the notion that you must fight yourself to win and that if you do not fight hard enough you are essentially, a loser.  How can this be good for us?  Why don't we just admit that once in a while we are going to eat a doughnut and drink way too much wine?  Let's be real here: no one is perfect, and treating ourselves to something once in a while should not be viewed as a loss.  What has happened in our society that has led to us to believe that we are not worthy of indulgences?  I feel this is a very damaging way to think and it only sets us up to fail.

How about this:  live the best life you possibly can.  Live a good life that makes YOU feel good.  Get outdoors, kiss your dog, make a warm meal for your family, go for a hike around the lake...EAT A PIECE OF CHOCOLATE!  Whatever it is that leads you to live a good life, just do it.  And don't feel badly if you "slip up" and eat a little too much chocolate.  News flash: ITS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!  Tomorrow is a new day and you are able to start anew. Don't let life pass you by while you feel badly that you aren't living it "the right way".  Before you know it, it will be over and you will have spent your life feeling guilty rather actually living your life the way you truly want to.  Be kind to yourself.

1 comment:

  1. You are absolutely right. I am at a point in my life that is so awful. Horrible divorce and an exhusband who hates me so much that he lied in a courtroom just to get my two babies (1 and 2 years old) taken from me. I know it's only temporary but a huge piece of my heart and soul are missing. I sometimes cannot understand why people have to try so hard to hurt someone else. I just thank God that I don't have to live my life like that. Everyday I have to try and remind myself of what is good, who is kind, how grateful I am for my daughter, who suffers everyday with me as well over this separation frpm her brothers. The kids are the ones who are really suffering. They don't understand and I just pray that they don't think or feel abandoned by me. I love my children. I would die for them and no one is going to stop me from getting them back. It is so sad to see someone with so much anger, hate, and selfishness. I feel sorry for my ex husband. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I had told such terrible lies about him. I have complete faith that God WILL PREVAIL!! WE WILL BE TOGETHER AGAIN AS A FAMILY FULL OF LOVE, WITH OR WITHOUT HIM. I WANT TO THANK YOU ROBERT FOR NOT MAKING ME WEAKER BUT STRONGER!! YOU TORE ME DOWN, YOU BROKE ME, MY HEART, MY SOUL WITH WHAT YOU DID ! I WISH EVERYONE KNEW THE TRUTH OF WHO YOU REALLY ARE. THEN IF THEY KNEW THE TRUTH YOU WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO HURT ANYONE ANYMORE. GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete